Wednesday 5 March 2014

Feedback crit for test exhibition.

The feedback crit went reallywell and there were quite a few positive points about my work. Below are some notes I made during the crit:


  • The feeling of claustrophobia is definitely coming across in my work.
  • The space I used looks like a corridor and leads to nowhere - dead end. Reflects obsolete places I was talking about in my presentation.
  •  The factory has no purpose - not doing anything - relates to the space as it is not usually a space which is used, also relatesas the space leads you around the images - redundant spaces.
  • Develop the idea of the corridor that leads to nowhere - possibilities of making my own corridor.
  • Black and white insinuates something that is left abandones - especially where the black in the images blends into the blackness of the walls. 
  • Eerie situation.
  • Images about documentation - grainy - eerie.
  • Commented on the dark space next to where I am working - someone thought that it related to my work, as there are things just thrown in there, however this was not my intention - be aware of the spaces used around me.
  • Comments on the photocopy paper - cheap paper - throw away/disposable. Also relatable to the factory pictured.
  • Play about with lighting - the lighting used didnt really work with the images I used.
  • The space is definitely significant to my work - need to think of how I can take this further.
  • How much response is to the space I've used and how much is to the images I've used.
  • Window - focal point.
Things to test further before the student-led crits on 06/03
  • Play with lighting.
  • Adjust lighting so you can't see the floor.
  • Maybe use no lighting at all? - mundane - gap in the curtain as main source of light? Dimmer light as source of light?
  • Think of sizing of images and positioning of images. (The way I positioned them looked quite odd against the size of the bricks in the room.
  • Could do one picture per brick.
  • Think of installation - put things on floor - work with the space.
  • Painting on photographs would work well in the dark room - maybe not be able to tell they have been painted on - could make them really eerie.
  • Play about with contrast on black and white photographs and display them in the dark room.
  • Visual and spacial experiences - work on getting it right.
  • Try presenting images differently - more rigid layout - or the opposite more "messy/irregular" layout.
  • Think about the quantity of images used.
  • Try scaling up images on illustrator to make images the same size as the walls.

I am quite pleased with the feedback that I received as I was really unsure if I was getting my point across within my work. The feedback was mostly positive, the only negative things being the positioning/lighting of the images, and the disused dark space which is behind the space I am using, as I did not block it off.
There is definitely a lot to go on that I can try out before the student-led crit groups on Thursday. My favourite ideas being putting objects on the floor such as gravel, with dimmed lighting for experience of the viewers. Also I am leaning toward the idea of putting images on each brick in the room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment