Sunday 2 March 2014

Cyanotype Workshop

Today, I went along to the Cyanotype workshop. I had been really looking forward to this since I found out about it in my tutorial with Michael Day last week.

Here are some things which I learned in the workshop:

Science:
The process of cyanotype printing uses two chemicals, these are:
- Ferric ammonium citrate (green)
- Potassium ferricyanide

They result in a photo-sensitive solution when dissolved in water, which is used to coat a material such as paper or fabric. An image can be produced by exposing it to a source of UV light (such as sunlight) "The UV light reduces the iron(III) to iron(II). This is followed by a complex reaction of the iron(II) complex with ferricyanide. The result is an insoluble blue dye (ferric ferricyanide) known as Prussian Blue. The developing of the picture takes place by flushing it with flowing water. The water-soluble iron(II) salts are washed away, while the non-water-soluble Prussian Blue remains in the paper. This is what gives the picture its typical blue colour"

Although this process sounds quite complicated, Heidi said that the most difficult part of the process is mixing the chemicals correctly, with health and safety in mind! I found it really interesting learning about the chemicals used and what the irons do, and how it gives off the vivid blue colour.

_________________________________________

To make a cyanotype print you can:
- Place objects directly onto the paper
- Draw/paint on to acetate or cellophane
- Use medium or large format negatives

I was initially under the illusion that you could only print on photographic paper, and it would come out looking like a photograph. There is a lot which you can do with the cyanotype, as there are hardly any limits. And I really didn't expect that you would be able to use objects such as flowers to make a print of, and even your own drawings. I am really looking forward to trying out this printing within my studio practice.

Below is a picture I took of the examples shown at the workshop:

No comments:

Post a Comment