Thursday 27 February 2014

Test Exhibition Installation...

Today, I have been busy installing my exhibition work in the dark room.

First of all, I started off by putting a new light bulb into the mains fitting on the ceiling, to actually see what I was doing (also a bit of a challenge because I have never fitted a light bulb before):
I think the light fitting is quite cool, just purely because of the bars which are around it. I am unsure yet whether to use the main light yet within the show, as I think it would give off a better effect with the LED lights pointing at angles, making some pieces easier to see than others. However I will and have been trying out a few things with the lighting before the final crit group on Monday morning!
 
Here is a picture of the room: 
Not a really good photograph (flash of camera and mains light), but it shows the size of the room and how wide it is. I really do like the shape of this space just because of how narrow it is! Personally I feel quite uncomfortable in there, just because of how narrow and long it is, when the light isn't on it feels quite bizarre. The next step was to fit the LED lights, and see what sort of effects they have when you point them at different angles.
 
I thought that the above was the best way to position the lights facing inwards at an angle, lighting up the opposite sides of the walls, gradually getting darker as you go further in to the space.


The above is an image of how the room is lighter where the viewer would walk in. I think this would achieve discomfort, as you walk around the tiny room, it gradually gets darker then as you walk back toward the end it gets lighter again. The photographs shown in the image above are not the ones which I will actually be using for the show, these are just a test to see how the lighting will work. I have printed off some more images, of a smaller size (A4) and there will be 9 photographs within the room. I will photograph this when I put them up tomorrow on the final day of installation.
 
All in all, I think that this is going pretty well so far, however I have not had a chance to have a tutorial again before the show because of other commitments and workshops. I am really kind of nervous about this test exhibition as I have never displayed my work in a dark room before, but I think that I am slowly getting the hang of it, and it has been quite interesting to try. Obviously there will be a lot of room for improvement, and I am really looking forward to the crit group on Monday morning to receive my feedback.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment