Tuesday 18 February 2014

Op Art

I decided to have a quick look at Op Art, as I initially thought my linear paintings reminded me of optical illusions, where I had been looking at thin black and white lines, especially on the paintings with a plain white background.
 
"Op Art is a method of painting concerning the interaction between illusion and picture plane, between understanding and seeing. Op Art works are abstract, with many of the better known pieces made in black and white. When the viewer looks at them, the impression is given of movement, hidden images, flashing and vibration, patterns, or alternatively, of swelling or warping" (Wikipedia)
 
After having a quick browse on the internet, I realised that my work is nowhere near related to Op Art, as I do not aim for my paintings to be an illusion, however it was quite interesting to look at, and has given me some ideas of how black and white work together, if I did want to ever create illusions.
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment