Wednesday 26 February 2014

Test Exhibition Planning.

So we have been given our spaces for the test exhibition and I got the space that I wanted. I asked for the really small dark space in the downstairs main studios, I was really interested in this space as it is really narrow and quite long, and this will give a sense of feeling claustrophobic/trapped as it is so narrow, I really like how it is not a typical space to work with, and the room is usually used for projections, so I am really looking forward to see what I can do with the space. There is also plenty of room to play about with lighting within the space, as there is already a mains light in there and it would be interesting to play about with LED spotlights and touch-lights within the room to give off different effects.
At the moment, I have lots of thoughts going around in my head as to what I could include within the room, and how to display my work etc, also feeling a tiny bit apprehensive as I have never worked in a dark room before, and don't want to get it totally wrong! However this is a test exhibition so I am sure I will have a lot of feedback to go on at the end of it.

I decided it was best to have a word with Michael Day about the space that I will be working in during the test exhibition, as this was the space that he suggested to me to work in. Some things to think about are:
- Look at Christian Boltanski - the way he lights his work.
- As it is the first time of me working in a dark room setting, play about with lighting, make sure I ask if I get stuck.
- The mains light was never meant to be in the room, it was once part of somebody else's work, and just left there - intervention in the space??
- I mentioned that the setup of the dark room seems more relevant than the images I will be showing in the room. More focused on the experience of the viewer??
- Really interested in the experience of the viewer in the space, as it is an awkward space, and I want to provoke feelings of the viewers.
- Think about how I can light the room - LED lights set at angles, pointing up/down/away from the images? Test out everything to see what works best.

There really is a lot to go on with this room, and I hope that I get it right! However as it has been said time and time again, this is only a test exhibition and I will be able to improve it massively if it goes horribly wrong and doesn't work how I would like it to work.

Photographs to follow really soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment