Wednesday 19 February 2014

Tutorial with Stephen Boyd 29-01-14

Main points from tutorial:
  • On pictures where I've painted "light" into the photographs - it displays a choice for the viewer.
  • What question am I trying to answer within my work? Confusion - this is not coming across in my works - the linear paintings look more decorative than meaningful. Not responding or thinking or asking.
  • Go to as many work shops as possible on photography and printing. 18th/19th century cyanotype could be interesting in my work.
  • Look at psychometric/psychological spaces.
  • The "bars" in my paintings - display containment/constriction.
  • Plain black canvases - place anywhere in gallery/rooms. Wide angle lenses for photographs. Disorienting/ruptured.
  • Motifs on fabric? Dalziel and Scullion "Home"
  • Work with film cameras. 2x2 negative. Draw on films, burn etc. when they print they will look disorienting.
  • Could play about with the scaling of photographs, smaller scale or environmental scale. Think about alternate spaces also.
There is a lot to go on from this tutorial and a lot to research! I found this really helpful as I was stuck with my work, and did not know where to go next, as I felt like the smaller paintings had come to a halt. One thing that was mentioned was to make sure that I am making work that I enjoy and am interested in. Something exciting to me will more than likely make the audience interested. Something I am not interested in will disinterest the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment